Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The Heater

I'm very pleased you like the new format. So do I. (Mommy, I don't know what you should call your blog).

I just joined facebook. It's truly overwhelming. When I was finding freinds while setting up the account I began to feel like the Facebook was somehow alive and looking into my soul to discover all the people I've ever known. It's going to take a lot of getting used to.


Now for the title story: The heat in my apartment (or lack thereof).

It's starting to get quite cold here. I really love this weather and I'm happy it's finally getting cold but I would like to be warm once I get inside my apartment. Sadly, this is not so; our apartment's heater doesn't seem to work. My room in particular is very cold. More of an igloo than anything. My roommate, Marissa, discovered that the vent in my room was not open. So she opened it. She also thought that there were controls for each bedroom in on the vent. We looked for the controls on one side of the vent (the vent stretches along the floor from wall to wall on the outside wall) and they weren't there so we thought they must be on the other side-the corner behind the bed. So I crawled behind my bed. This was no easy feat. There's a shelf and a dresser under my 3-or-so-foot-high bed and there is a space slightly wider than my shoulders between the dresser and the foot of the bed so a had to crawl through there. I had to turn the corner so I was up against the wall where I could crawl through the slightly-less-than-shoulder-wide corridor between said wall and the dresser/shelf. It was considerably darker in there than in the rest of my room. I am somewhat claustrophobic and a little afraid of getting stuck but I was courageous and crawled to the back to the vent. Despite my claustrophobia I had a wonderful time crawling back there (anything that gives me an excuse to pretend to be a secret agent or some such thing is lovely). And guess what! No control panel! Hopefully opening the vent will help, but judging from the temperature of the rest of the apartment and my bedroom's position at the corner of the building I'm doubtful that the improvement will be great.

3 comments:

Janella said...

Hmmm. Perhaps you should talk to your RA if the heat situation doesn't improve. I guess the corner room has a few downfalls, doesn't it?

RachelRenae said...

I think you should talk to your RA too. But just remember what Calvin's dad always says: "it builds character".

Also, I'm coining your phrase 'the facebook'. Not facebook... The facebook. And I had the same feeling... that creeped out, it's watching me, artificial intelligence kind of feeling.

Amy said...

I didn't even realize I called it "the facebook"! I might have to start using that phrase too! I'm glad I'm not the only one creeped out by the facebook.

You're right, I should talk to my RA if it doesn't improve.