Friday, October 17, 2008

Revolting- and amusing (but really mostly revolting)

In Anatomy Lab today we started on the cadavers. Yippee! The part that really gets you is the smell. It enters you and you feel it in your whole being, or perhaps it would be more true to simply say, you taste it. Yes, TASTE it. And you keep tasting it. After you leave you continue to taste it, though you try not to think of it. Hours later, you remember that taste and it seems to return bringing an triggering the gag reflex.

Honestly it wasn't as bad as all that, though all that is true. I had no trouble with standing there and watching our lab instructor point things out or touching them myself (though that was kinda weird). They are definitely interesting. One of them (we have two) has a particularly obnoxious odor. Her smell is far more potent than that of the man, and she doesn't really smell like formaldehyde; her stench is somehow fruity. Hmm. Not right.

There is far more that I could expound upon but for your sakes, I will not. I will simply leave you with these final thoughts: I am not sure that I will ever be able to eat roast beef again and I probably won't think of jerky the same way anymore (but that won't stop me eating it).

2 comments:

Janella said...

Did they provide you with Vick's Vapor Rub in lab?? It really does help, believe me. You should get some of your own if they don't have a jar of it there.

I hope that you will find it more interesting as you go along. I think you are lucky to have the opportunity to actually have cadavers for lab!

RachelRenae said...

This is disgusting.