Tuesday, December 16, 2008

First Semester

I am now one final from the end of my first semester of college (anatomy and physiology on Thursday). I just returned from driving around the city viewing Christmas lights with my closest friend here- Jessie. My apartment is quiet. The Christmas lights tastefully strung across our living room and my bedroom are shining merrily. All is peaceful and calm. It is now time for me to reflect on my first semester of college.

I must say, it's been pretty wonderful. Sure there have been some really crapy parts but mostly it's been amazing. I've learned a lot. I've learned a lot of things in class, of course- a lot of things that I need for my major (like where the sternocleidomastoid muscle is)- but I think more important are the things I've learned that have absolutely nothing to do with my major and the new friends I've made (man am i flirting with corny! I'm sorry all, I will try to avoid corny-ness).

I've learned how to be civil to someone I don't like and don't respect and how best to try to solve problems with them -even though in the end it hasn't actually worked out, nonetheless I tried and was as respectful as I could be so I have no regrets that my roommate and I don't get along at all. I've learned how to and pray blessings for someone I don't like or respect and who I feel is nothing but rude to me (once again the roommate). I've learned the importance of budgeting time- though it is an art form I fear I shall never master. I've learned the necessity of budgeting money. I've always thought of myself as smart with how I use my money- I always carefully evaluate my purchases to make absolutely sure that I don't waste money- but it turns out that an actual budget allotting me so much money for each thing is an excellent idea. I've learned (at least to some degree) how to handle boys who are interested in me without me sharing the feeling. I've learned that it is not the end of the world if I have to eat a meal alone. I've learned how to create acceptable dishes with limited ingredients, no recipe and very little time from scratch. I've learned that, though I hate it and fight it, I do judge people unfairly- for instance, jsut because someone likes to party doesn't mean that she can't be oh, say, a good RA (there are after all worse things someone can do than go to a party). I've learned that my worries are insignificant- God is more than big enough to take care of things and He's put people in my life who take care of me. I've learned that perhaps I can sing and write well- two things that I've long since decided I'm horrible at- and I shouldn't discredit myself. I've learned how extremely important it is to take opportunities and try things and not make lame excuses. I am now on the swing dance performance team here and I go swing dancing at least three days a week. I have great friends that I've met other places but my closest friends and the ones I hang out with most (like Jessie) are in swing. Had I made lame excuses why I shouldn't go to swing that first night I never would have met these amazing people and my life here would be lame- at best. One should not waste life with lame excuses.

I have learned just how blessed I am! I have such a wonderful family and such wonderful friends! Since this is a reflection on college, I will write about the new ones. God has given me so many wonderful friends here. They are people I trust completely, people who I can rely on completely, people who are always there for me when I need them. I don't know what I would do without them (nicely illustrated by the fact that Jessie and I have to work together in order to find our way anywhere). I've met a lot of guys who are honorable and trustworthy; they are worthy of the term "young men"- a term I don't apply lightly. I've met some guys who are, well, less than respectable, but they only make me more grateful for the wonderful young men God has put in my life. I love all of my new friends and I'm so, so grateful for them.

I think that just about covers my reflections on this semester. Overall, it's been wonderful.

3 comments:

a.matson said...

Wow...that is so amazing and wonderful! I'm so glad that you are loving college, and wise enough to learn all these things. Some of these reflections are deep! And the lessons hard. But you've learned them! Yay for comrade!:)

Hey - by the by, when I get home, do you think that I might be able to come swing dancing with you?

Amy said...

Ahhhh! of course you may come swing dancing with me! It would be fantastic! If you're free, you could come to a place in Denver on Fri evening- it's free and Rachel and Stephen are coming too.

Anonymous said...

Wow, you have always been school intelligent, but it looks like you are truely world/life intelligent also. Being open to learning from every experience is something you have mastered. GOOD JOB!

Oh by the way, if I dont get a chance, or lack the brain cells to remember to tell you, I wanted to add to something that was said at sledding. I may have graduated in three years out of necessity, and Annalyse might want to graduate in three years out of lack of patience, but neither of us were studying in a field nearly as intensive as nursing. If I had to take micro biology, physiology, and whatever it is you took this year, I would have failed miserably. My mind is so right sided I dont get anything that is not logical or practical. You however have passed classes that really take a ton of work. So in essence, this is to say I respect you tremendously for what you are accomplishing in college. And glad that you appreciate a father that cares more about you than his own wants, and pays for your education even the slightest. Dave and I both worked hard just to pay for school, and it was not easy. So keep up the good work, and know I am not comparing you to anyone even though it might come out sounding that way, I am an extrovert, I think outside my head unfortunately.

Love you tons girlie!